London with the Lads
On Monday, Nicole and I met up with Nate in Kensington to see the Victoria & Albert museum and Kensington Palace. I didn't know anything about the V&A museum, and was surprised to find six enormous floors filled with thousands of paintings, statues, and artifacts. I guess I had assumed the museum would actually be about its two British namesakes, but instead, it contained exhibits from all over the world. Our favorite part was the theatre exhibit, which had a whole closet of costumes for people to try on. It was entertaining to play dress up like we were little kids again, and the final result was certainly more flattering than the oddly-bent hoop skirt I tried on in a different part of the museum!
The trio of travelers then set off for the Kensington Palace gardens, where we ate a picnic lunch that we shared with a puppy friend we met, but not with the dozens of greedy swans in the pond. The gardens were massive, stretching farther than the eye could see. If I were Prince William or Kate Middleton, the residents of the palace, I would go for morning runs every day through those gardens! Speaking of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, we did not run into them as we toured their home, but we enjoyed getting to see an exhibit on Diana, Princess of Wales, and her fashion story. If only we could try on those elegant dresses!To conclude our day, we dropped by St. Paul's Cathedral back in London, and we were allowed to enter for free to attend their Evensong service. So we got to admire the gorgeous architecture of the cathedral while listening to their choir and prayers. What a stroke of luck! The only thing that would have made it even better is if it were Catholic. Well, we'll have more Catholic Churches than we know what to do with in Rome!
Tuesday was packed with more adventures with Nate, as we took a train to Hampton Court Palace, home of the Tudor dynasty. I don't know why it is so entertaining to learn about a man who married six women, divorcing/beheading four of them, but it is, and we had a great time!
Compared to Kensington Palace, Hampton Court Palace was far bigger and grander in both Tudor style as well as William and Mary's later redecorated fashion.
One of the highlights, however, besides the floor-to-ceiling tapestries or the hedge maze, was the board game we played in one of the rooms. I got all the way to the second to last space, but then landed on a space that said I was discovered to be a Jacobean spy and was executed for treason, so I had to go all the way back to the beginning, while Nate surged on ahead to victory. All in all, it was a fantastic day trip, and we were all ready to go to bed by the end of it! I'll hand it over to Nicole now to recap Wednesday and Thursday :)
arrived. One of the hard things about getting to do so much while we are here, is that it often means early mornings in order to get everything in. The sun sets so early, plus a lot of the attractions close pretty early here. I got up around 10, showered and then climbed back in bed to read and journal. It was such a relaxing morning. One of my high priorities for London, was going to a high tea at one of the nice hotels in London. Following my senior year of high school, I interned at the Willard Incontinental Hotel in DC and have since been obsessed with old historic hotels and of course, the fancy lifestyle that accompanies them. My grandparents were gracious enough to make reservations for Emily and I to have tea at the Ritz Hotel, which was recommended to me by my mom. She always appreciates these things and we used to go to high teas together when I was little.
After this we wandered to Trafalgar Square and went to the National Gallery to check out a sampling of some of the famous works on display. These art museums can be quite daunting and its easier to tackle a small section at a time. After the art gallery, we headed towards Buckingham Palace. The queen's flag was not flying, so she wasn't home, but we did get to see some dignitarian arrive in a horse-drawn carriage. We cut through Green Park back to the underground station to head back to St. John's Wood where Nate's uncle lives.
The Blonde and the Brunette

So much, so much.....Gramps and I are thrilled that you got to Hampton Court. Did you try the maze? Tea sounded srumptious. Gramps and I did one in Toronto and an historic hotel and wish we could do it again. I remember one birthday dinner where I had the 40 garlic clove chicken! I think I still have the recipe. We are soaking up all your details. Travel safe and God speed.
ReplyDeleteOh, and by the way, you should watch The Other Boleyn Girl with Natalie Portman if you haven't seen it. Also, The Man who went up a Hill and Came Down a Mountain.
ReplyDelete