Goodbyes and New Beginnings in Prague
Yesterday on January 4th, I said goodbye to the United States for the next four months. It was a very weird feeling, I was in complete denial even at the airport as if I would be back on Monday morning from a weekend trip or something. I don't think it has fully sunk in yet. I am someone who absolutely hates goodbyes. Whether I show it outwardly or not, I get extremely emotional, especially as I hugged my dad goodbye for the last time. Even though she is traveling with me for the next 11 days, my mom started crying while I hugged my dad- knowing it would be some time before we are all together again. That is one thing about me going to college so close to home, I have never been gone for this long. We have fall and spring breaks, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter. I usually only go less than two months between visits back home. So even though I would not at all consider myself a home-buddy, I will miss the comforts of my childhood home.
And then we were off! And boy, was I loaded down with stuff!! I have never been one that is good with packing, I overpack for everything. But I was determined to be good for this trip, I made lists upon lists and keep cutting down. Clothes-wise I did rather well, but it is all the shoes, toiletries, and outwear that add up so quickly. Not to mention that my camera and lenses take up almost a third of my backpack. So I might have been wearing 5 layers on the plane, but everything fit and I was under the weight requirement. Phew! We had a eight hour flight from D.C. to Vienna and a short one hour flight onto Prague. I was able to sleep a little although battling a pounding headache and finally able to watch the movie Dunkirk, so this history major was happy!
Once we got to Prague, we ywere taken to our hotel and put our luggage in storage before heading out for our main mission for visiting the beautiful old town of Prague: Christkindlmarkt. It's the reason I wanted to visit in the first place. I knew I wanted to revisit my favorite country of Austria (we are going there next!) and see the Christmas markets, but in Austria, they all close before the new year. So after much research I discovered that Prague still has their main markets open through the epiphany and some even through January 14th. 
I was told before I came that I must try "trdelnik" while I was in Prague. There were tons of vendors that sold them at the various Christmas markets so my mom and I grabbed one to split and it was really yummy. It's basically like a cinnamon sugar donut pastry that is cooked on a giant turning rolling pin over hot coals. It can also be served with nutella inside of it, though we opted just for the classic one.![]() |
| Mom trying her Hot Christmas Punch |
We got so much accomplished in just the three hours we spent walking around the various markets while waiting for our hotel room. My mom bought a beautiful burgundy hat and I purchased a Prague astronomical clock pocket watch which I intend to wear as a necklace pendant. We were so happy with the whole experience and so surprised that everyone here speaks so much English, you almost forgot you are in a foreign country.
I didn't realize how tired I was until we finally got into our room and I had the intention of getting my suitcase organized but instead fell asleep within two minutes of laying down. My mom woke me up and we grabbed an early dinner in the hotel's restaurant and back to the room to end our first day of adventuring! We need a good night's sleep for all we have planned for the rest of our nine days together. I can't wait to see even more of Prague tomorrow!
The Brunette



Comments
Post a Comment